Date(s) - Nov 7, 2017
9:30am - 10:30am
Demonstrating “Tomorrow’s Trains Today”
Do you have an innovative product or service ready for market exploitation, but has not yet been demonstrated in a real UK rail environment? Or are you a railway organisation with a vision to upgrade customer service experience on trains? If so, this First of a Kind (FoaK) competition may be for you.
The vision for this competition sees a train carriage fitted with a range of innovations, brought together under a single theme, such as improving accessibility, to give passengers am immersive experience of “Tomorrow’s Trains Today.”
These demonstrator carriages will also provide railway organisations and suppliers with evidence they need to:
- Overcome constraints to the delivery of innovations;
- Create a more collaborative environment with innovative suppliers;
- Collect valuable feedback from the public to accelerate the pull through of innovations;
- Showcase the UK’s potential to deliver significantly improved passenger experiences for domestic and export markets
- Innovate UK is launching this First of a Kind Programme on behalf of the Department for Transport (DfT), to accelerate innovation in the UK rail sector and enable technologies to be readily and efficiently integrated into the rail system.
The aim of the competition is to enable innovative solutions to take the final step to market readiness. It will break down barriers to the delivery of innovations into the rail industry, by proving that innovations deliver the expected outcomes when integrated in a complex real-world rail environment.
The innovations in this competition must be:
- Market ready – high TRL proven technologies
- Very low technology risk
Applications to this competition must focus on:
- Integration innovations to create an immersive experience for passengers activities
- Demonstration proof of concept to rail customers and end-users
- Businesses can apply for a share of a substantial pot of money for First of a Kind technology to demonstrate “tomorrow’s trains today”. This competition offers the potential of 100% funding, with projects starting in early 2018.
The Knowledge Transfer Network (KTN) on behalf of DfT and Innovate UK is running this launch event to showcase the potential rail assets available for demonstrating these innovations.
Further details on this competition are available on the Innovate UK website here.
Competition Brief : https://apply-for-innovation-funding.service.gov.uk/competition/72/overview
Briefing Event : https://www.ktn-uk.co.uk/events/first-of-a-kind-rail-competition-briefing
Opens: 30th October 2017
Initial close: Noon 29th November 2017